AllWrite Sisters

ezine for writers, readers

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Self Publishing vs Traditional

Jean Kinsey
Site Owner

Do you think self publishing or traditional is the way to get our books before the public ?

This would be an interesting discussion.  What are the pros and cons of each?

August 3, 2009 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]

I have never published, self or otherwise, so I'm no expert. But I do have friends who have. I'd say it's appropriate for some people, but not for others.

I've seen people self publish and make a respectable living at it. But to do so, they must promote their books aggressively in their local regions, speaking frequently at schools and libraries, and looking for any way to get their works into the public eye. Many bookstores will give shelf space to local authors who self-publish, but it may not be prime territory, so to speak.

I have also seen  people self-publish and be very disappointed with the results. They can't get their books in stores outside their home areas, and Internet sales are very hard to come by for unknown writers. One friend was so excited to see his book in print, but later fell into dispair when sales were virtually non-existant.

Can someone be "discovered" by a conventional publishing house after self-publishing? It has happened, but it is extraordinarily rare.

Bottom line: If you are happy to be a regional author and you are willing to work tirelessly promoting and selling your book, self-pub can work for you. If you are expecting to self-publish, then sit back and watch skyrocketing sales online or from your local bookstore, you may be very disappointed.

October 3, 2009 at 8:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean Kinsey
Site Owner

[email protected] at 08:57AM on Oct 03, 2009

I have never published, self or otherwise, so I'm no expert. But I do have friends who have. I'd say it's appropriate for some people, but not for others.

I've seen people self publish and make a respectable living at it. But to do so, they must promote their books aggressively in their local regions, speaking frequently at schools and libraries, and looking for any way to get their works into the public eye. Many bookstores will give shelf space to local authors who self-publish, but it may not be prime territory, so to speak.

I have also seen  people self-publish and be very disappointed with the results. They can't get their books in stores outside their home areas, and Internet sales are very hard to come by for unknown writers. One friend was so excited to see his book in print, but later fell into dispair when sales were virtually non-existant.

Can someone be "discovered" by a conventional publishing house after self-publishing? It has happened, but it is extraordinarily rare.

Bottom line: If you are happy to be a regional author and you are willing to work tirelessly promoting and selling your book, self-pub can work for you. If you are expecting to self-publish, then sit back and watch skyrocketing sales online or from your local bookstore, you may be very disappointed.

I agree, Bill, but in today's market even the traditionally published author still has to put in many hours of marketing. 

Motivational speakers do very well with self-publishing because they can sell their books onsite. 

For me, I am going to try the traditional way and if I can't do that, then I might give the self-pub a try.

jean 

--

Jean Kinsey,

The Lighht Keeper's Daughter Mar 15, 2012

October 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.